Under the provisions of the Government of India (Constitution of
Odisha) Order, 1936 the Province of Odisha was created by separation
from the Province of Bihar and Odisha, also the post of Revenue
Commissioner for Odisha was created.
The functions assigned to the Revenue Commissioner, Odisha; inter
alia, were the functions of ;
- the Inspector-General of Registration under the Indian
Registration Act, 1908,
- the Chief Controlling Revenue Authority under the Court Fees
Act, 1870 and the Indian Stamp Act, 1899, and
- the Excise Commissioner under the Bihar and Odisha Excise Act,
Consequent on increase in the duties and functions of the Revenue
Commissioner, an Additional Revenue Commissioner was appointed under
the Odisha Revenue Commissioner's (Regulation of functions) Act,
1948. Thus, in addition to the Revenue Commissioner, a Commissioner,
Northern Division came into being. These two Commissioners were also
functioning as Board of Revenue in respect of their charges;
- Revenue Commissioner, Odisha: Cuttack, Puri, Balasore,
Ganjam, Koraput, Phulbani and Mayurbhanj districts.
- Commissioner, Northern Division: Sambalpur, Sundargarh,
Bolangir, Keonjhar and Dhenkanal districts.
The functioning of the two independent officers as Board of
Revenue (Revenue Commissioner, Odisha and Commissioner, Northern
Division) did not work very satisfactorily and the necessity for a
Board of Revenue for the entire State of Odisha was keenly felt. The
Odisha Board of Revenue Act, 1951 was brought into force with effect
from 1st August, 1951.
At first there were three Members of the Board of Revenue. Later,
when great stress was laid on the speedy execution of developmental
works under the plans and of district administration, it was
observed that the Members of the Board of Revenue with their
multifarious activities, could not find adequate time to devote to
all these. It was felt that there should be an intermediate
authority between the Board of Revenue and the District Officers
like the Divisional Commissioners.
This led to reduction of the number of members of the Board of
Revenue from three to one and creation of three posts of Revenue
Divisional Commissioner. This was achieved by bringing into force
the Odisha Board of Revenue (Amendment) Act, 1957 and the Odisha
Revenue Divisional Commissioners Act, 1957, both with effect from
The Board of Revenue, Odisha is situated at Cuttack, the old
Capital City of Odisha. The Office premise known as Rajaswa Bhawan
is an eight storied building on the bank of River Kathajodi. It is
the tallest building standing in between the High Court of Odisha
and Collectorate, Cuttack.
It is 3.5 kms away from Bus Stand, Cuttack, 7 kms away from
Railway Station, Cuttack and 30 kms away from Airport,